IIRR is one of the world’s leading development NGOs, focusing exclusively on improving the lives of the rural poor. With a staff of more than 300 across Africa, Asia, and North America, the organization’s programs empower rural people and communities by improving their health, education, environment, food systems, and economic opportunities. For over 60 years, IIRR has delivered sustainable and scalable solutions to build resilient communities and promote socioeconomic equity through community-led action. To date, IIRR has impacted more than 44 million rural lives across 49 countries.
We are seeking an experienced and creative Communications and advocacy Consultant (CAC) to lead marketing and storytelling activities for two current rural development projects. The initial engagement will be on a part-time, short-term basis with the potential for the right candidate to transition to a long-term engagement in the role of Advocacy Lead.
- The CAC role is an ideal position for a creative marketing and communications expert who inspires collaboration, thinks like an organizer, and is skillful at narrative strategy and storytelling from a relational approach.
- The CAC will conceptualize, plan, and implement outputs and collateral for two current rural development projects.
- The CAC should have a solid knowledge of IIRR’s legacy on rural development across Asia and around the world.
- The CAC will be curious and a fast learner, able to quickly understand the key components of current projects to develop an effective marketing and advocacy strategy.
- The ideal candidate has experience working with value-driven organizations, and a passion for environmental and other social issues.
- The CAC will report directly to the Global Operations Manager.
- Outline a detailed marketing strategy, including goals and outputs, that will most effectively communicate the story of one small-scale and one large-scale rural development project.
- Develop visually appealing and engaging marketing content (including print, digital, and video formats) to showcase the impact and success of select rural development projects.
- Generates compelling and persuasive content that highlights project goals, achievements, impacts, and success stories.
- Ensure that all collateral produced aligns with IIRR’s brand guidelines and messaging strategy, maintaining a consistent and professional brand image.
- Work closely with the project teams to gather information and insights, ensuring accurate representation of project activities and outcomes in materials produced.
- Perform research and analysis using a variety of resources to craft appropriate media messages and materials.
- Identify media opportunities and implement communications in print, broadcast, and digital, with an emphasis on non-traditional media.
- Work closely with unit directors and project staff to provide strategic guidance to reaching and engaging key audiences.
- Manage and monitor the dissemination of communications materials to appropriate platforms and outlets.
- Manage the development and/or update of printed or digital materials, such as brochures and fact sheets.
Knowledge & Skills
- Proven experience in creating and leading a communications and/or advocacy strategy with clearly defined objectives and outcomes
- Demonstrated understanding of global economic and social disparities. Experience working on development issues is preferable (but not required).
- Experienced manager who can skillfully delegate and provide meaningful feedback, holding teams accountable and providing support for professional growth.
- Creativity and impeccable writing skills.
- 10+ years of experience in communications or marketing; preferably working with environmental and/or other international development issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, or related field; Master’s Degree preferred (but not required).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience working in the rapidly changing world of media, including trends, best practices, and new media platforms and technologies.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a complex organization, juggle competing demands, and maintain good working relations with internal colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Able to work effectively as a team player, including flexibility to work across multiple time zones.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, CV, salary expectation, and available start date to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Communications & Advocacy Consultant in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No calls, please. If you have not received a response from us in two weeks, you should assume that your application was not successful on this occasion.