IIRR is one of the world’s leading development NGOs, focusing exclusively on improving the lives of the rural poor. With a staff of more than 300 across Africa, Asia, and North America, the organization’s programs empower rural people and communities by improving their health, education, environment, food systems, and economic opportunities. For over 60 years, IIRR has delivered sustainable and scalable solutions to build resilient communities and promote socioeconomic equity through community-led action. To date, IIRR has impacted more than 44 million rural lives across 49 countries.
We are seeking an experienced Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) to lead the establishment of a centralized, comprehensive monitoring and evaluation framework for our organization’s International program units.
- The MEL Director will initiate the development of a centralized system for evaluation and assessment, laying the foundation for efficient data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- The MEL Director will play a key role in defining goals, objectives, and key performance indicators (KPIs) aligned with sustainable development goals (SDGs).
- The MEL Director should have a solid knowledge of IIRR’s legacy on rural development around the world.
- The ideal candidate has experience working with value-driven organizations, and a passion for environmental and other social issues.
- The MEL Director will report directly to the Global Operations Manager.
- Conduct a thorough evaluation of the organization’s existing practices and gaps in monitoring and evaluation.
- Make informed recommendations to leadership on the necessary framework, metrics, and technology integration.
- Define clear goals and objectives for the establishment of an M&E framework.
- Build and guide a team to ensure efficient and comprehensive M&E framework implementation.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to identify and align KPIs with SDGs, ensuring relevance and measurability.
- Design a systematic process for the collection of relevant data across all offices.
- Implement a regular schedule of monitoring to stay abreast of data and ensure its accuracy and completeness.
- Facilitate the development of internal capacity within each office for active participation in the M&E system.
- Provide training and guidance to all relevant levels of staff to ensure consistent and standardized practices across all projects and units.
- Investigate and recommend technology solutions for data analysis, trend identification, and report generation.
- Work towards the eventual implementation of technology tools for efficient M&E processes.
- Leverage prior NGO experience to bring practical insights into the establishment and operation of successful M&E systems.
Knowledge & Skills
- In-depth knowledge and proven experience in monitoring and evaluation processes within the NGO sector a must; 10+ years preferred.
- Ability to think strategically and provide a roadmap for the development and implementation of an M&E framework.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to effectively manage a team.
- Proficiency in designing and managing systems for the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data.
- Excellent communication skills to effectively convey recommendations and instructions to diverse stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; Master’s Degree preferred (but not required).
- Awareness and understanding of technology tools for data analysis, trend identification, and reporting.
- A broad understanding of global development issues and the ability to contextualize M&E within this framework.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a complex organization, juggle competing demands and practice effective time management to meet deadlines, and maintain good working relations with internal colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Able to work effectively as a team player, including flexibility to work across multiple time zones.
How to Apply
Send cover letter, CV, salary expectation, and available start date to: email@example.com. Please include MEL Director in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No calls please. If you have not received a response from us in two weeks, you should assume that your application was not successful on this occasion.